So the last Harry Potter movie came out last week and I’ve got this awesome Butterbeer cupcake recipe! Sooo delicious! This is from the awesome Amy Bites blog
For the cupcakes:
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened, room temp
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
3 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon butter flavoring (is available at Kroger or other local stores with other flavors)
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup cream soda
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine your flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream your butter until light and fluffy. Add your sugars and beat until well-combined.
- Beat in your eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Beat in your vanilla and butter flavoring.
- Alternate adding your buttermilk, cream soda, and dry ingredients in batches until all are well incorporated. (Be careful with this step as it can be a bit messy!)
- Fill each cupcake liner 3/4 full, then bake for 15 to 17 minutes until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean and cake springs back to the touch.
- Cool completely on wire racks.
For the ganache:
1 11-oz. package butterscotch chips
1 cup heavy cream
For butterscotch ganache:
- In a double boiler or heat-proof bowl over a pot of simmering water on the stove, combine butterscotch chips and heavy cream and stir until completely combined and smooth. This will take some time. Make sure even little bits at the bottom are melted as well.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Fill a squeeze bottle with ganache and insert into the center of each cupcake, squeezing until filling begins to overflow.
- Be very careful about overfilling. This will make the cupcakes oily in the bottom and trouble to eat.
For the buttercream frosting:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup butterscotch ganache
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon butter flavoring
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 16-oz. package powdered sugar
Splash of milk or cream (as needed)
For buttercream frosting:
- Cream butter in a large bowl until fluffy.
- Add in ganache, vanilla, butter flavoring, and salt and mix until well combined.
- Beat in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until reaching desired consistency.
- Add milk or cream by the Tablespoon as needed. BE VERY CAREFUL TO NOT MAKE THE FROSTING TOO THIN.
- Frost cupcakes and top with a drizzle of butterscotch ganache.